Thursday, September 18, 2008

DC Rat Abatement Program under Mayor Fenty

Update on the rat patrol.
I revisited the DC government's website and tried to register and report a rat problem in the alley. The software kept putting in "Ellenberger Street" or something for E street, our street (I've shifted the letter), no matter how carefully I entered the address. So in the "comments" section, I gave our address correctly and described the problem.
I then phoned the department of health and talked at length to a nice man. I suggested that he collaborate with another department to clear the debris and impacted refuse from the "hedges" area of the alley, "Congressional Court," but this idea was treated with silence and then disparaged. "I'll send the Parks department a message."
Three weeks ago the Dept. of Health phoned Emily and asked whether our household would participate in a survey about whether the Dept. of Health gave them satisfaction. It was set to take 20 minutes. Emily was willing to do it, but they just had to talk to the man of the house. Only the patriarch for this particular poll. I refused.
This afternoon, September 17th, a woman from the DC Department of Health phoned me, and said, "Are you etc. etc. who lives at etc. etc.? The inspector came to your address. They did not find any rat holes." I asked the lady, who had a sore throat and was almost inaudible, whether they looked in the alley, as I had reported. Nope, "it only says "the front stoop" here."
They are right, the squirrel has taken over, and the traps have not caught a rat in a while. But the rear is still infested with rats, according the Eastern Texan Democratic Party sixty-ish neighbor, who kills them in his yard in sprung traps. Their holes are there, in the misbegotten vegitative matter covering the ground behind all the rear fences of the streetfront addresses. No one is going to do anything, the nice woman said to me, but I could "get up a neighborhood petition."
That's the advice the neighbor Texas guy told me he had received.
Thanks, Mayor Fenty!

No comments: