Monday, June 29, 2009

We live in a paradox

we academics, I mean me, rather: All my information comes from the digital interface, but my sole desire is to create the artifact the book. I read an article on Tonga Christian conversion in the Journal des Societies Oceanistes, and it is there, permanently, irretrievably, forgottenly, but there. The old yellow pages heavy and shiny.

Actually I am reading books. I am still reading Against the Day, the monumental and awesome Thomas Pynchon book, which I had to put away after a while when I realized the Chums of Chance and the retreat into altered history and the buzzing Lovecraftian beings without pathos were not all going to be explained, but were parallel threads overleaving themselves with each other. I do understand what the novel is up to, finally, (p. 657 or so). The doubling that time is weirdly involved with: the alternative realities in all of us, the reversals of contemporary virtualities by repositioning them in history differently.

And Van Dieman's Land, by James Boyce. A little bit. But mostly it's -- let's go to the INTERNET! EBSCO, JSTOR, etc. etc.

No comments: