Sunday, July 6, 2008

Sheetrock and Shellac and Fear

I am a fan of David Owen, a guilty pleasure! One thing Owen does very well is to convey the anxiety of being a homeowner acutely. I am right now nervously glancing out our basement-kitchen doorway/window perched over the only working drain at that deep level of the perimeter of the house. Were it to clog, all the water would have to drain through a hole underneath my tool chest in the center closet in the basement here, something that has in fact happened. My rube goldberg apparatus to route the rain away from the house dates from that point, but it is vulnerable to debris and overflowing.

It is raining hard now.

Taking out the trash I see the central drain for the alley is backed up. A huge pool has formed, blocking access to our city-named "Court." It is only a matter of time before the water reaches me from the other side of my drains. My papers and such are still arranged all over my floor. The electrical equipment is all still "on," wires all over the place. I just heard thunder approaching. Happy 5th of July!

No comments: