Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Decline and Fall

Implicit in some of the anti-declension narratives I read from people I enjoy, is an unwillingness to see a major trend of up or down in any terms, anytime. Maybe this is temperment, because I seem to have drawn different conclusions. I think studying Africa has shown me that sometimes suffering can increase, for long periods of time, maybe forever.

Ending only with cataclysm or redefinition as normal.

If we were to say, "decline from here, would look like this," would we be able to agree on here or this? One person can have answers, an aristocracy, a group of intellectuals, maybe a community, sometimes (horribly random but there you are) a race, a class, a gender, overall; rarely a nation; never a continent, nor the world.

My view of academics in the e-age is: wait and see. Teachers may learn what decline means. It is not hard to win bets as a pessimist.

No comments: